Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sewing Machines

If you have read previous posts, you will know that at one time I took in sewing as a living - yes, it was a long time ago, but sewing has always been an important part of me. I made hundreds of clothes for me, my sister, my children and my sister's children. That is why it was so important to me to get my sewing machine out of storage and back into use. It has been six years this month that I have gone without my machine.

Notice that I said my machine. I have had two sewing machines in my lifetime and I have been sewing for 45 years. My father purchased a used Necchi sewing machine for my mother on her 32 birthday. An Italian made sewing machine the Necchi was the top dog in sewing machines and Dad paid a pretty penny for it at the time. As much as my mother would love to sew, she doesn't have the patience. Some people are not meant to sew - it takes a lot of sitting, long bouts of concentration and tons of patience. So, I took over the Necchi and claimed it as mine - no one ever argued over the fact.

Mother gave me a new sewing machine when I was a senior in high school. I must not have thought much of it because I don't even remember the brand. I made lots of clothes for my sister and a few things for me, but it just didn't cut it - I loved the Necchi. So when the new machine died after 18 months, I begged for the Necchi and it has gone with me through my life.

Today my Necchi came out of retirement. I finally got it out, cleaned it up, and oiled it and behold, it runs like a top! The tension will need some adjusting, but it is cleaned and oiled and sleeping very comfortably until I get ready to start some projects. Can you tell this event has boosted my morale and brought joy to my heart. With three granddaughters, I plan to be busy with sewing projects.

Please let me hear of your favorite sewing machine and how your relationship can to be - for a seamstress develops a relationship with her machine. What is your favorite sewing machine and what do you normally sew?

Until next time, Happy Reading!

Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment